Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Of new paths and open doors

 

As I look at my calendar, it is officially January 15. In as little as 5 days from now, I will take my 45 minute drive to my international airport to France. I will arrive there anxious and nervous for my 8 hour flight to an unknown destination surrounded by unknown people. The language that I have spent many nights dreaming about and months studying will be all around me and I can't do nothing but hope that it will all not sound as gibberish.

I am worried about the host family that I will be spending with every day and night for the next 3 and half months. I am worried about the people labeling me as a dumb American. But what I am most worried about is the goal that I have set myself for the duration of my whole trip.

I have made a promise as soon as I entered foot into that airport to speak as much French as I can. If I ever want to reach fluency by the time I return back to the states then it's going to be time for me swallow my fear and accept the mistakes that I am sure is bound to happen. 

I have seen family members who have migrated into the States without a lick of English in those many bags of theirs and have managed to learn it even as they suffered criticism just because they were hispanic. People have judged them as stupid and nothing but problems, but I see them as inspiration. If they can stand up against the anger against their own race then I can stand up to accept the challenge in learning a language in just half a year.

In as little as 5 days, I will be heading to France. I will experience so many emotions, but I know the experience will be worth it. It will be like starting Freshman year of college of over again. I will be alone. I will have various days of good and bad, but at least I know after all of this,  I will be totally worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment