Monday, November 5, 2012

Mot du Jour

A few days ago, I stumbled upon a website that was willing to give me all the French practice in the world. Actually, Monsieur recommended it a few weeks ago, but I never really checked it out until now.

The website is called french.about.com and it has endless lists of resources. From proficiency tests to French slang vocabularies. You can even sign up for a newsletter where Laura K. Lawless (a writer for the page) gives you daily exercises to improve your French.




I, obviously, have signed up for it and I get the mot du jour (word of the day) link along with other tips and exercises.

My mot du jour is klaxonner and it means to honk/beep/toot one's horn

It also comes with sample sentences so you can see how it is used. I am going to write daily words here along with their sample sentences and at the end of the week a list of all the vocabulary words that I learned. Hopefully, that will help me remember the words. 

I think I am also going to buy a pocket notebook to put them in, just so I can look back on them whenever I want. It will be a great way to write sentences along with their definitions, so I don't forget how to use them.

Before I forget the sample sentences they gave me were:
  1. Quand vous arriverez, ne klaxonnez pas; je préfère que vous sonniez à la porte. When you arrive, don't beep your horn; I'd prefer it if you rang the doorbell.
  2. Pourquoi les gens doivent-ils klaxonner quand ils voient bien c'est impossible de bouger? Why do people have to honk when they can see that it's impossible to move?
Hopefully this will help me out. Enjoy your Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! You're my first commenter! You have no idea how much you've made my day!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete